Evansville Water

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Re: Evansville Water

Post by Michael Erwin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 pm

The latest I've heard is the plume will arrive around 5am Monday morning, will most likely last about 24 hours. Already, the concentration is less than 30 ppb. Some are saying this is negligible enough not to worry about. Apparently, the one chemical that's getting the most attention (there are 7 total, and I don't know anything about the other 6) smells like licorice even at very low concentration. So, one could use the smell test. As a precaution, I am storing tap water today for drinking, cooking, teeth-brushing, etc. EWSU plans to use active carbon filtration to lower the concentrations.
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Post by Michael Erwin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:51 pm

More info... http://m.courierpress.com/news/2014/jan ... to-arrive/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Apparantly another unknown chemical has now been disclosed that also leaked. There seems to be little data currently on the impact to human digestion.

Just glad I didn't brew...
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:37 am

Mead Johnson (maker of baby formula) was rigorously testing the water when the plume came through. The water samples were good. I'd trust a pharmaceutical company's results over a municipalities. Municipal water departments don't get sued. Big business does.
I drank the water...I drank a lot that day. Started the day off very sick and felt much better by the end of the night!
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:47 am

Are you saying plume water has magical healing properties!?!
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 am

Pharmaceutical companys get sued because they are honest? :shock: :lol:

"Ever been to Utah? Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year. They ought to have them, too. When they canceled the project it almost did me in. One day my mind was full to bursting. The next day - nothing. Swept away. But I'll show them. I had a lobotomy in the end. "
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 am

Code: Select all

Date       pH Tap        Ca Hardness       Mg Hardness       Chloride       Sulfate       Alkalinity (CaCO3) 	
2/28/2014   8.0               88                34             20             66            64
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Does anyone have a recent one for Newburgh water ?
Brandon Lancaster • OVHA Board Member

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 am

Blancaster wrote:Does anyone have a recent one for Newburgh water ?
From my understanding, Newburgh sources their water from well & river. Depending where you're drawing the water could be one or the other, or both. Only way for Newburgh residents to know for sure is to test their own water from the tap. Problem is this is only a snapshot in time, as Uve heard that given time of year also changes where the water is sourced.
Make a friend on the Evansville water system, or use all RO water and build back the water from there according to beer style.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 am

Date       pH Tap        Ca Hardness       Mg Hardness       Chloride       Sulfate       Alkalinity (CaCO3) 	
3/31/2014   7.9               102                38             31             43            78
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

Post by BREWsmith » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 am

Chris Norrick wrote:

3/31/2014   7.9               102                38             31             43            78
Compared to the last several readings, chloride is higher and sulfate is lower. Is that good, bad, neither? Based on these numbers should we consider any treatments to our brewing water?
Jeff Smith

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:59 am

The Evansville Drinking Water Plant plans to make the annual temporary disinfectant switch over to free chlorine beginning Wednesday, June 18, 2014.

For Immediate Release
June 11, 2014

Allen Mounts
(812) 436-4560

**MEDIA ADVISORY**
Evansville Water will temporarily change disinfection

Evansville, IN. - Beginning June 18 and continuing until approximately the 1st or 2nd week of July, 2014, the Evansville Water and Sewer Utility will temporarily change the disinfectant used in the water treatment process. EWSU will be using free chlorine rather than chloramines during this time period.

What is Chloramine?
Chloramine is a disinfectant used in drinking water to remove bacteria and viruses that can make you sick. It is made up of chlorine and ammonia. EWSU has used chloramines as the disinfectant in its water treatment process since 1999.

What is Free Chlorine?
Free chlorine is a slightly stronger disinfectant than chloramines, and may be used to remove more resistant bacteria and viruses that may be found in the water distribution system.

Why would the Evansville Water & Sewer Utility Convert from Chloramines to Free Chlorine?
This brief, scheduled change in disinfectant is a standard water treatment practice to keep water mains clean and free of potentially harmful bacteria throughout the year.

State drinking water guidelines recommend that utilities using chloramines periodically switch to free chlorine for a period of time. The temporary use of chlorine will ensure that a high level of disinfection is maintained throughout the network of water mains and pipes that deliver your drinking water.

Free chlorine is a more aggressive disinfectant than chloramines, and this temporary change in the water treatment process denies bacteria the ability to form resistance to the usual disinfection treatment process.

Switching to free chlorine is a proactive step to ensure that we maintain optimal levels of disinfection in the water distribution system.

As always, the drinking water will be regularly monitored to ensure that the water delivered meets, or is better than, federal Safe Drinking Water Act standards.

Why Does EWSU Use Chloramines Most of the Year?
While chlorine is an effective disinfectant, using chlorine alone creates byproducts, which are regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. We can drastically and cost-effectively reduce byproduct levels through the use of chloramines.

Chloramine is a better long-term choice because it produces lower levels of disinfectant byproducts like trihalomethanes, improves the smell and odor of water (compared to chlorine), and lasts longer in the distribution system to prevent bacterial growth.

Will I Notice a Difference in My Water?
Possibly, some customers may notice a slight change in the taste or smell of their tap water. Free chlorine may have a bit of a chemical odor or smell slightly like water in a swimming pool. Each individual customer has his or her own sensitivity level to the taste and/or odor of free chlorine. Many detect no change at all. The mild chlorine taste and smell is normal and poses no health risk.

Are Free Chlorine and Chloraminated Water Safe?
Yes, both forms of chlorine are effective and safe for people and animals for drinking, cooking and bathing, as well as watering the garden, and for all other common uses. However, precautions must be taken to remove or neutralize chloramines and free chlorine during the kidney dialysis process, in the preparation of water for fish tanks and ponds, and for businesses requiring highly processed water. A de-chlorination procedure optimized for chloramine removal will work equally well with free chlorine.

People and businesses that normally take special precautions to remove chloramines from tap water, such as dialysis centers, medical facilities and aquatic pet owners, should continue to take the same precautions during the temporary switch from chloramines to free chlorine.

Most customers will not need to take any precautions as the water remains safe to drink and is treated according to both state and federal standards.

• Kidney Dialysis Just like chloramines, free chlorine must be removed from water used in kidney dialysis machines. EWSU has contacted representatives from the medical community to inform them of this temporary conversion. We advise customers who are dialysis patients to call their physicians or dialysis centers if there are any questions.

• Fish Owners Like chloramines, free chlorine is toxic to fish. Fish owners need to remove chlorine, ammonia and chloramines from the water before use with tropical fish. Local pet stores carry water conditioners that remove chloramines and free chlorine. If customers have questions, we recommend contacting their pet store for information and detailed instructions.

EWSU is committed to providing high-quality water and related services that meet all regulatory drinking water standards in a manner that prevents pollution, enhances the environment, and promotes sustainability. If you need further information regarding this change, please contact the Utility at (812) 428-0568.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 pm

5/31/2014   8.0               100                36             22             33            94
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 am

Chris Norrick wrote:http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Another spreadsheet tool for messing with water chemistry. Shows the effects of adding acid malt to your malt bill (plus a whole lot more).
Bringing back this link for those that were looking for it..
Read the whole post it has a ton of good water information.

http://www.ovha.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... =30#p11632
http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

(Jeff) :razz:
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:11 pm

If you didn't geek out enough with Chris's link, here is another really good read...

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... nd_mash_pH

and an interesting water build spread sheet.
Kaiser_water_calculator.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Julian