MINIs on the Dragon vacation

For all those old Boy Scouts and other lovers of the outdoors.
Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed May 04, 2011 8:58 pm

So each spring a bunch of MINI Cooper people head down to the Smokies for a week to drive along US 129, known at the Dragon, and other area curvy scenic mountain roads. One section of the Dragon that is the most famous is known as the "Tail of the Dragon". It is a 11 mile stretch that contains 318 curves and no access roads.

This year Steph and I headed down to join the other 523 MINIs that showed up (a record).

One of the planned drives included a visit to Heinzelmännchen Brewery, the smallest brewery I've ever been in. They do sell their beer in the Jimmy style glass growlers!

I managed to do a little fly fishing one afternoon and hooked into a few trout but only landed one. Those barbless hooks are a bitch.

Here are a couple of videos I shot on the trip, and my photos. Videos are in HD shot from my iPhone, so crank up the resolution!

Photos on Flickr: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjussUq6

Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Re: MINIs on the Dragon vacation

Post by sirgiovanni » Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 am

I thought about these most awesome vids you do coming through and out of some big storm clouds in our company plane a couple weeks ago. I need your setup. :)
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Truly great videos Chris. Perfect music of the night run, but I played Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" while I watched the first one.........classic! 8)
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Oh, and how can I forget the Dragon Beer Swap. A fully organized event with official pint glasses and official tshirts. Basically you bring your local beer and swap for other peoples local beer followed by karaoke night. There had to be 100 people set up with as little as a six pack to a few cases ready to trade. Mostly east coast & midwest with many breweries I've never heard of. It was epic.

I took a case of all Indiana beer plus some homebrew and brought back this plus some other peoples homebrew:
Trades.JPG
Noteworthy: Troegenator from Troegs Brothers, Spotted Cow from New Glarus, Jai Alai from Cigar City brewing. Just finished off the Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing. If you see something you want to try I'll bring it to the meeting (if I don't drink it first). Just post here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

jesskauffman
Maltster

Post by jesskauffman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Awesome vids of The Dragon, Chris! I was just down there 3 weekends ago on my bike to meet up with my brother at Deal's Gap for some motorcycle fun while he was back from Iraq on some R&R.

The roads down there never get old. I bet the Cooper S was a blast on those roads. Did you get a pic of your car in action from killboy.com or any other photographers on The Dragon?
"I was the president of a fraternity for 3 years. I could out drink God!"

On Deck: Hmmm......
In the Fermenter: Cleaning solution
Bottle Conditioning:
In Action: Summer Kolsch, Northern Brewer Black IPA, Bel-dian Dark Ale (Black IPA brewed with Trappist yeast...)

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes, I bought a couple of pics from Killboy and a couple from one of the other guys. Amazing little business they've set up.

I bet that is a blast on a bike. That Tree of Shame is a little intimidating!

Here's a Killboy shot:

Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

ArtCox
Brewmaster

Post by ArtCox » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am

I have rode the "Tail of the Dragon" on a bike, and yes it is awesome. I would not do it at night tho.
"If you can't stand the hops, get out of the brewhouse!"

Next Brew:
Primary:
Secondary: Seven C's of Rye
Bottled:
On Tap: SMaSH Mouth Vinnie
Upcoming Brews: Gumball Machine, Lil Irish Redhead, "Fat Bastard" Heavy Scottish Ale, Bonzai Rye,

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:36 pm

I found a car in Chicago that's even smaller than Chris's mini.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:09 am

Har de har har...I already spotted one in Evansville at the Ivy Tech car show a couple of months back:
IMG_3051.jpg
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap: