OVHA Hop Co-op

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

OVHA Hop Co-op

Post by BREWsmith » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:18 pm

I'd like to gauge the membership's interest in a cyber hop co-op. It would generally work as follows (random thoughts) subject to agreed-upon refinements:

- limited to OVHA members only
- each co-op participant would have an account
- initial account deposit of $20
- minimum account balance $5
- subsequent account deposits in $10 increments
- minimum member purchase 2 ounces per variety
- member price = average inventory cost + 10% surcharge (to cover spoilage)
- excess accumulated surcharge balance will be donated to the OVHA general fund periodically
- first in/first out inventory management
- monthly supply orders in 1 pound/variety increments; 4 pounds minimum
- members orders must total at least 4 ounces/variety before supply order placed (e.g., Bob and Ted each order 2 oz of Saaz for total of 4 oz and 12 oz would be placed in inventory)
- member hop orders would be delivered at monthly meeting unless other arrangements made
- periodic financial records would be prepared and made available to all OVHA members
- unless someone else has a burning desire to do so, I would be willing to operate the co-op
- hopsdirect.com appears to be far-and-away the most competitively priced supplier with a comprehensive inventory of leaf and pellet hops

Down the road, other items, e.g., specialty grains, could be added to the cyber co-op. Again, these are random thoughts and refinement would be necessary if there is enough expressed interest.
Jeff Smith

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

Re: OVHA Hop Co-op

Post by BREWsmith » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Here's an example of how prices would be established for co-op hops.

Below is an order I received a week or so ago.

Item 01: 1 each HPGLF1 Perle (GR) Leaf Hops 1 lb $ 19.00
Item 02: 1 each HFUGUKP1 Fuggle (UK) Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 21.50
Item 03: 1 each HHALGP1 Hallertau Pellets (GR) 1 lb. $ 17.50
Item 04: 1 each HSTYP1 Styrian's (UK) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 18.50

SubTotal: $ 76.50

Shipping: $TBD
Total: $ 76.50

The shipping cost was $13.15 for a total cost of $89.65. Therefore the cost to the member, assuming the membership would agree with a 10% surcharge would be:

Perle (leaf) $1.53 oz
Fuggle (pellets) $1.70 oz
Hallertau (pellets) $1.43 oz
Styrian Golding (pellets) $1.50 oz

The total surcharge on this inventory would end up being $8.97. Surcharges would accumulate and excess surcharges would be turned over to the OVHA general fund.

I'd appreciate your input pro or con.
Jeff Smith

BM1
Brewmaster

Post by BM1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Count me in and let me know when to sign up.I can see this growing and branchin out into something very useful to all.I would like to see it grow into possibilities such as bulk grain orders and such.I generally put funds into my 'Pay Pal' account for such purposes...why not have an O.V.H.A. fund instead(and/or as well).I could bring cash to a meeting for this if needed.

Oh,yeah...Pat Yourself on the back until it hurts...It's a good idea!
You gonna stop whinin' 'bout that beer,or you gonna send it to me?
Friends don't let friends brew drunk!
Signed:Steve Sluder.

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 pm

Jeff, I don't think this would work for me. I'm too specific with my ingredients. I would end up with a bunch of stuff I didn't need and would likely need more of other stuff than may be available. Thanks though.
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy