Where to get CO2

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Where to get CO2

Post by SkyBrew » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 am

I exchanged my empty 5lb CO2 tank at Airgas on North Burkhardt Rd yesterday, it was $15.65, $16.75 after taxes. It seems like the price is always different depending on the place you go. This is the cheapest I think I have ever paid so I just wanted to share!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sky B.

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Re: Where to get CO2

Post by sirgiovanni » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:59 am

They have come down on price apparantly. They used to be horrible, about twice that if memory serves.
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

Post by BREWsmith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 am

It's interesting that the receipt says "food grade". Is there really a noticeable difference between food grade and other?
Jeff Smith

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 am

Pool supply place on Franklin is up to $25 for 5#. They seem to struggle to fill my tank all the way up most times.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Last time I went to Air Gas, I let them "know your f**king me" even showed them my last receipt when I exchanged tanks. He only tried to explain that "it's food grade". I let him know that Carson's Brewery would not be using them.
Carson's Brewery uses Evansville Welding Supply for our small tanks and aviator air (medical grade oxygen without a prescription). EWS has most excellent customer service. When I call in needing tanks, they don't even ask who's calling. Apparently they have caller ID and know how to use it.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:43 am

John, you're totally right. Everytime I go in AirGas I get a different price.

While we are on the subject of cheap gasses, there is a Price Less Foods in Newburgh that is advertising "The lowest price for propane in town". I did a propane tank exchange for $12.88
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sky B.

areising
Boilover Master

Post by areising » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:31 pm

I've been getting mine at EVV Weld Supply and had no issues with. 5# tank is filled for under $10 and the 20# is under $20. They fill my tanks so I drop them and pick up a couple of days later.
Tony Reising

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 am

Dicks sporting goods fills paint ball tanks. If you buy the tank there, the 1st fill is free. Refills for the 20 oz costs $3. They won't do larger co2 tanks though.
.....I'm gonna be one!

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

SkyBrew wrote:John, you're totally right. Everytime I go in AirGas I get a different price.

While we are on the subject of cheap gasses, there is a Price Less Foods in Newburgh that is advertising "The lowest price for propane in town". I did a propane tank exchange for $12.88
Do you how many pounds the exchange tank was? If that is a 15lb exchange then it is the same price as Bassemires but if it is a 20lb it is a really killer deal.
Michael Julian

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 am

msjulian wrote:
SkyBrew wrote:John, you're totally right. Everytime I go in AirGas I get a different price.

Do you how many pounds the exchange tank was? If that is a 15lb exchange then it is the same price as Bassemires but if it is a 20lb it is a really killer deal.

You know, I'm not actually sure how many pounds the tank is. I guess I assumed the exchange was standard for all tanks.. When I go home I'll look and see if it says somewhere on the tank.

EDIT
I've been reading up on this on the internet and what I'm finding is the standard BBQ propane tank is a 20lb tank but is typically only filled to 15lbs at a propane tank exchange center. Confusing!

How to tell how much propane is in the tank:

One way to tell how much propane is in the tank is to weigh it. You can use your bathroom scale to weigh the tank, then subtract the Tare Weight, which is stamped metal piece that is welded to the tank. Tare weights are typically 16.6 to 18 lbs.

Bathroom scales are not the most accurate things in the world, so caution is in order. You can calibrate somewhat by weighing the tank when you know it is empty. Write this weight on the tank for future use when you weigh with the same scale. You can also weight when full (if it is your only tank and never run it empty) then subtract 20 lbs (if you had it filled). This is less accurate, as you are not sure there is exactly 20 lbs of propane in the tank.

In any case, weighing will probably give you a better indication than your average car's gas gauge will. I have one vehicle which sticks on Full for a long time then quickly drops. My new car has an 18.5 gallon tank, but the gas gauge and the electronic "range left" indicator thinks it will run out after using only 13 or 14 gallons.

source: http://www.elivermore.com/propane.htm
Sky B.

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:50 am

I think the 15 lb exchange is pretty much the standard. That's why the exchange at Walmart and Home Depot are a rip off. The refill stations fill to a full 20 lbs. The price you got your exchange for seems to be the same price per pound as a refill if it is a 15 lb exchange. The only issue is you only have 15 lbs in the tank so it runs out faster.

That is a really good price on an exchange. I am going to have to exchange my tank that is out dated and the bad one I have so I will definitely be hitting them up.
Michael Julian

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Carson's just got co2 filled from Evansville welding supply. Not sure if this a company rate, and not adding tax, delivery charge & fuel surcharge. Praces were:
50#= $22.85
20#= $15.90
5#= $9.15
.....I'm gonna be one!

aroyer2
Maltster

Post by aroyer2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Anyone know where to get co2 on a weekend. I haven’t found anything open on Saturday.

Thanks!

Aaron

Jam095
Brewmaster

Post by Jam095 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:09 pm

Aaron, I’m pretty sure Airgas on the Eastside is open on Saturdays now..
John Mullins

Don’t judge a beer by it’s label