Sam Adams Longshot American Homebrewing Contest

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Sam Adams Longshot American Homebrewing Contest

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Just found out about this one. Check out the "Art of Homebrewing" video.

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/L ... npage.html
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

kbhale
Hophead

Post by kbhale » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:17 am

For a $ 5,000 prize and get all rights. Rather keep my brew to share with friends. I would have some respect for him if he showed how to do a proper brew. Tin can brew over ice my a__.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:44 am

I totally disagree. I think this is a great thing for homebrew. When is the last time you seen a national commercial promoting homebrew? I think this is the first and it's a great commercial showing real people making real homebrew. Doesn't everyone start out with a can kit cooking on the stove? I know I did. It just leads to better and better things. Koch does a lot for the homebrew community, so I think he does deserve some respect.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:16 pm

I haven't seen the commercial yet. I agree about the exposure; it can only be positive.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

jefrey3
Brewmaster

Post by jefrey3 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:46 pm

I have to agreee with Chris. A national homebrew competition sponsored by a well known brewery shows that homebrewers aren't as abnormal as most people seem to think. It is great recognition & should encourage people to try it.

mytwins1999
Boilover Master

Post by mytwins1999 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:27 pm

I use malt extract when I brew,wish I could get a better operation going but don't have the time or room to do it just yet,my beer is still better than anything in a aluminum can.I think it is pretty cool that he is having this contest,just shows that he loves BEER! :beer2 :beer9

kbhale
Hophead

Post by kbhale » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:55 pm

I agree promoting home brew is a good thing. Am I the only one that has issues with what you give up for $5,000. Take a look at the second page.

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/L ... ontest.pdf

Sorry, I did not mean to step on any extract brewer toes but the video seemed over simplified. All I could see was an infection waiting to happen.

mytwins1999
Boilover Master

Post by mytwins1999 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:02 am

I would not be bothered by this because I would be using a recipe that I did not invent and malt extract,But if i invented the recipe and used all grain brewing,I would want and deserve more for my efforts.It may not be a smart thing do.So it depends on what way a person is looking at it.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:11 am

"I agree that if I am the Grand Champion winner of the Contest, I will fully disclose my recipe to The Boston Beer Company and hereby grant to The Boston Beer Company a non-exclusive irrevocable license to use the recipe, name of the recipe, provided no geographical indicator is used in the name of the beer, or any part of the recipe or name of recipe, in the production of a product for the account of The Boston Beer Company, subject only to my right, as sole entrant, to be paid a one-time royalty of $5000.00 if The Boston Beer Company brews a product using my recipe. If selected as Grand Champion, I and my co-brewers agree to assign any intellectual property rights I have in my recipe to The Boston Beer Company, if requested."

What exactly do you believe you are giving up? Selling your recipe to another brewery or using the recipe in your own micro brewery you might start up someday? I don't think this is a big worry to most homebrewers. However, if you see your self going pro one day, then yes, I would not enter a potential award winning recipe.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:19 am

Most homebrewers have no problem posting their recipes online for all to brew, so I don't see it as an issue to release it to Sam Adams, get 5 large, get national exposure for you and perhaps your brew club, to have your beer brewed by a renowned brewery and to have the beer distributed across the country. Am I missing something?
Dwayne Delaney

Billy Carter

kbhale
Hophead

Post by kbhale » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:06 pm

If your content with someone using your personal information and identity world wide in any fashion they wish and without any compensation to you or input from yourself. All you need do is enter.