corona grain mill or roller mill

mytwins1999
Boilover Master

corona grain mill or roller mill

Post by mytwins1999 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:38 pm

I am looking into making all grain recipies and I am currently looking at grain mills.Will a corona mill work well or should I just spend the extra money and get a good roller mill?

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 pm

I've never used the Corona, but I've been very happy the the crush and the increase in efficiency that I get with my Barleycrusher roller mill.(No affiliation with the company, just a satisfied customer) I have the basic model.

http://www.barleycrusher.com
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 pm

I've only used a roller mill, so that's what I'd vote for. It's the Barley Crusher. I borrowed Dwayne's once, then bought my own. There is another brand out there that is just the rollers and if you're handy you can make the hopper and save some bucks.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

jefrey3
Brewmaster

Post by jefrey3 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:16 pm

I recommend a roller mill too, but I have a corona mill I would let you try. I got it with a bunch of other brewing stuff I bought. I have never used it. I think Peter has used a corona mill.

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 pm

Just to put my two and a half cents in, I overheard Dwayne making grunting noises when he ran his grain through my Schmidling over the weekend.
[albumimg]44[/albumimg]

psfred
Brewmaster

Post by psfred » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 pm

A Corona will work (but then so will a rolling pin if you persevre and don't mind the time....).

The difference is about $50 between a Corona and a roller mill. I highly recommend a roller, won't be going back any time soon!

Peter

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:17 am

First off, let me tell you which one NOT to get. I ordered the Grain Gobbler from Beer, Beer and More Beer recently. I got it to crush some grains a couple of times with a lot of tinkering, but now the thing seems to be down for the count without some serious rigging.

I emailed them and got a response saying 'the metal shop guy is out, he will mail you back in a week.' I didn't like that so I called there and nobody had any idea about this problem. I was left, again, with the metal shop guy answer.

So, I'm going to wait for this magical metal man in hopes that he has something good to say. However, there's this saying ... "You can't polish a turd." This thing is the proverbial turd to be sure.

In the meantime after much research (what I should have done more of the first time) I have ordered a Barley Crusher mill.