So what do you do when...

Davin
Brewmaster

So what do you do when...

Post by Davin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:49 am

Someone is trying to be nice and buys you a "beer?"

Saturday evening I was at a wedding reception and one of the people at our table went to the bar to get drinks. She asked if anyone wanted anything and I politely said no, I was (I'd already looked over their beer selection and when asked by the table had mentioned i was a bit of a beer snob.) When she comes back she brings me a beer. With a nod and a grin she just says "Budweiser."

I politely accepted, said thank you, poured it into a glass and choked it down.

On a side note on the way out of the reception I got a call from a friend who asked me to grab some beer on the way to a party we were going to afterward. The only store between the two was a grocery store, I grabbed a couple of sixers of things that I new some people would like, and saw a Belgian white called "Shock Top" that looked interesting, so I grabbed it also. Once i opened one when we got there, I noticed the AB logo. Needless to say, though no where near my favorite Belgian white, it was a lot easier to drink than the companies flagship beer from earlier in the evening.
To Ale is human, to ferment divine.

Josh Thompson
Henderson, KY

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:37 pm

I always just think to myself "BJCP Style 1B Standard American Lager" and repeat that mantra as I drink it quickly.

Sure, it's bit of denial, but if that's what you need to get yourself through it.

:lol:

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 am

Drinking it quickly is the best way to dispose of the offending beverage. At receptions, parties, cookout..etc I try to order 2 at a time, or make it a Boilermaker (shot and beer). I drink the first down in a single pull before leaving the bar with the hope I'll get some alcohol benefit soon before I have to drink the 2nd (which I cary around to look socialable).
The quick guzzling is my belief why the beer is so light, and tasteless in the first place. If it had taste, then it is one to be drank more slowly and enjoyed.
A second benefit of the quick gulp, is anyone seeing you do it, either thinks you have a drinking problem, and then doesn't offer to buy you another; or thinks your a true professional drinker to be held in awe.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!