Upcoming Raspberry Wheat

Dutch
Brewmaster

Upcoming Raspberry Wheat

Post by Dutch » Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 pm

I came across a bottle of Torani's Raspberry flavoring that I would like to use to make some Raspberry Wheat beer in my next batch.
I am concerned that since this flavoring is cane sugar based that I may over carbonate/overpressure the beer if I use this sryup in conjunction with the 3/4 cup of priming sugar normally added.
My logic is as follows: Priming sugar 3/4 cup is about 360 calories [due to the sugar]. This is based upon the package information of confectioners sugar where 30 g. or 1/4 C = 120 calories.
The raspberry syrup is 90 calories per fluid ounce. Therefore I can safely add 4 ounces of raspberry if we assume that virtually all of the colories come from the cane sugar in the syrup. This would be in lieu of the priming sugar. I guess I could use just a bit more, NO?
Might it not be concentrated enough to get the effect I'm looking for?
DUTCH

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Wed May 28, 2008 6:48 am

Makes sense to me! You might be able to add an extra ounce (25% more) because a lot of wheat beers call for 1 cup of priming sugar instead of 3/4 cup. That would be 1 oz per gallon so you could bottle it in different batches at different concentrations to see what works
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!