Malt Vinegar?

BM1
Brewmaster

Malt Vinegar?

Post by BM1 » Sun May 18, 2008 9:27 pm

Had a batch go bad on dead yeast a while back(like,last summer :oops: ).
It smelled so bad that I shoved the carboy aside and left it.I did not want to be standing over it while it drained :shock: .Any way,I eventually needed
the $20.00 carboy and proceeded to empty its contents.It smells more like vinegar now and reacts to baking soda :o .Could this be Malt Vinegar :?:
I'm thinking about jugging it and clean my chiller with it.If it's not malt vinegar,what is it?I wonder...It'd be about $20.00 worth, :D :D
You gonna stop whinin' 'bout that beer,or you gonna send it to me?
Friends don't let friends brew drunk!
Signed:Steve Sluder.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Wed May 21, 2008 8:51 am

If your airlock went dry, then it is very well some type of vinegar now. Best bet would be to taste it. If you don't think it tastes bad, and can think of some way to use it, you just might have stumbled onto something good. But...if after you taste it, and you have the sudden urge to hike up your leg and do your best impression of a cat licking it's own butt... to get that awful taste out of your mouth ... I don't think it will ever be any good, and you'll have a hard time convincing someone else to give it a taste test. You might be able to pass it off as the "green" weed killer.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!