Thinking about building a brew stand...

Davin
Brewmaster

Thinking about building a brew stand...

Post by Davin » Tue May 13, 2008 7:34 pm

So since I've got some kegs coming I decided to go ahead and start working on my brewstand.

What do you guys think of the one below? Its not perfect and its not done, but I think it is a start of what I want.

[albumimg]262[/albumimg]
To Ale is human, to ferment divine.

Josh Thompson
Henderson, KY

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 pm

For safety, you might consider supporting the pots on all four sides. Also, the mash tun seems to be hanging out there. Not sure what that will do for your center of gravity. Once the water drains out of the HLT into the mash you might get it out of balance. :shock: That wouldn't be fun! I know I've seen these minimal stye three tier at B3 and they seem to be ok. http://morebeer.com/view_product/15372/102329 You might be able to simplify the design and make it more stable with some sort of larger "foot".

I can't tell you how pleased I am with my cart so go for it!
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Davin
Brewmaster

Post by Davin » Wed May 14, 2008 8:14 am

The pots are going to be supported from below as well, I've not added that or the burners yet, though its in the works on the latest plans.

Feet have already been added, I forgot them in that first draft.

I'm going for the minimalist look for multiple reasons, but the biggest is so that the rig will be portable. Since I don't really have access to a pickup, I want to make sure I can move it for things like the big brew and such.

Basically the only truly rigid structure will be the main stand. The legs and the mash shelf will be easily removed (or possible folded in) for transport.

The plan at this point is to make it out of pre-drilled aluminum L channel, but I've got to check on tinsel strength first as well.
To Ale is human, to ferment divine.

Josh Thompson
Henderson, KY

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Wed May 14, 2008 5:12 pm

I also have been trying to put together the plans for my brew structure.
I have downloaded many different types but not sure what I want.

I want to build a single tier system or maybe a two tier (HLT on top). I have a 10 gallon Gott cooler that has worked great as my MLT in the past but I do have a third ss kettel I can convert to a MLT if that works beter.
I bought a pump 6 month ago and it's just sitting there waiting to be used and almost have my CFC built.
I ordered 3 jet burnners and am working on the PLC for the burner controllers.

I plan on running a three burner system off of propane and have been saving 1 inch sq. tubing to build my systen out of.

This is where I need the advise of some experts.
Couldn't find any so I came here....
Anyone have any plans that work well for them that they would like to share?

Thanks
Don
(this might have to wait till the transmission is paided off)
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.