Racking to kegs

Jim W
Brewmaster

Racking to kegs

Post by Jim W » Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 pm

I have been asking a few of the guys for their opinions about how they store their kegs, if they are not going directly into the fridge. I have gotten enough different opinions, that it is probably worth putting on the message board.
I filled a keg tonight, added 1/3 cup of sugar, and purged the oxygen a couple of times, and then put a couple pounds of CO2 on it. I then stored it in the basement, about 66 degrees.
What would you all have done differently, or the same?
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Tue May 06, 2008 9:15 pm

I don't see any problem with your method; basically the same as bottling, but in bulk. You will get some yeast with the first couple of pints. Some folks will cut their dip tube a half inch or so to minimize this.

My fridge can only store 3 kegs max, so I will force carb the kegs and then store them in the basement until I'm ready to rotate them or I free up some space in the fridge.

Just my 2
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue May 06, 2008 11:17 pm

I don't have a basement or other cold storage, so when I started making plans to switch to kegs, a medium size chest freezer (with temp control) that would hold at least 7 kegs, was on top of the list. Non-refrigerated homebrew will age faster. This can be good and bad. It will smooth out faster, but it will also get past it's prime sooner. I tend to keep beer around for awhile so I wanted to keep it cold to keep it as fresh as possible.

I try to keep as much crud out of the keg as possible. I let the fermenter settle out clear and then I'm really careful with racking. A little crud is ok if the keg won't be moved until it's empty as the crud will settle out. But I usually take one to a festival or whatever and when I do that thing gets all shook up and all the crud that had settled out gets mixed up again. I can definitely taste a difference. YMMV, but I don't prime.

If you are going to prime, do what Dwayne says and cut a couple of inches off the dip tube and try to not disturb the keg too much.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Wed May 07, 2008 7:22 am

I open the valve, drop into 2 kegs, charge, release the Oxygen, recharge to 25 lbs for 3 days. I put them directly into the kegorator or my spare fridge. I also learned that when moving from the fridge to the kegorator, do so at least 3 days before you want to drink it so that it will settle, as Chris mentioned. I'm using 1.25 mini kegs, filled off the main kegs, to travel with in order to avoid cloudy beer.

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 pm

I dump CO2 in my keg to purge out the air, then rack the beer to the keg and seal it up. My primary cooler will hold 16 kegs so I go ahead and force keg with CO2, (If it's conditioned) then after 2 or 3 days set the regulator to the serving pressure and forget.
If it's and Old Ale or Barley Wine I will just add some CO2 and set it in a cool place in my shop and let it condition there before I cool it. I do go and check these every couple of days to make sure there is still pressure on them.
I always use a secondary so when I rack to the keg that's the last time I have to fool with the the beer except to put pressure on it. (until it's ready to drink).
I haven't used sugar since I started kegging. I don't know if its me, but I think my beers taste better with out being carbonated by sugar.

I've made American Lagers, Oktoberfest, ESB, Old Ales, Winter warmers, American wheats, Stouts and Blond ales this way.
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 pm

That is why I like posting my questions. I always get a bunch of good answers. One of the things that I read (which is what confuses me), is that over time you will have the carbonation disperse out of the beer if it is stored at room temp. Has anyone ever noticed this?
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Wed May 07, 2008 8:47 pm

The beer will absorb the CO2 until the it gets saturated. Then it should hold the pressure you put in, providing the tank is completely leak free. I always have to top off a tank, that I'm letting set outside the cooler, every couple of weeks. It may only be a pound or two it all depends on how your O-rings are holding. I have never had a tank completely lose its carbonation. At this point the tank is just like a big beer bottle, it will hold the pressure if there are no leaks. If my tank is in the cooler I keep it hooked up to the regulator and set to serving pressure.
One think I do every time I buy a tank, is get a complete new set of o-rings.
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.