CO2 Tanks

Jim W
Brewmaster

CO2 Tanks

Post by Jim W » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:00 am

I know Chris went over some of this at the kegging demo, but I thought I would post this info.
Paintball Players MD was closed yesterday, so I had to hunt down some CO2.
Airgas $29.00 for 5 lbs. :twisted: :mad: :beer2 "That is probably worthy of the Metallica emoticon."
Evansville Welding Supply,7330 Enterprise Park Circle, by the eastside Lowes, 812-842-3600. $9.15. They were friendly, and prompt.
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks very much for the info. So was the paintball closed for the day or for good?

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:11 am

I have had a couple of tanks filled at Evansville Welding Supply and I agree, this is a great alternative to Airgas if PPMD is not open or, like in my case, if you work/live close.

One day they did have me leave my tank because they were backed up and/or the right guy wasn't there. So, if you're going to use them, you might want to make sure you take it in before you're in a pinch.

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:22 am

PPMD is closed on Tuesday.
Anyone got a good alternative for CO2 tanks?
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:29 am

I know there has been the disucssion of the refilling of 5# tanks in the past. I think the high price is due to the pain in the A$$ of refilling when you walk in instead of a simple tank exchange. Or it may be that the small quantity for some reason is just priced higher for motivation to aquire a larger tank. My Father-in-law just had his 'frige go out and he needed some dry ice. Air gas had 10# for like $22, or 25# for $17. Go figure. But through talking witht the guy a "special" pricing was found for 25# for like $8. I know I'll be using my father-in -law's new found connection for my summer cooling needs.
But on the topic of tank supplies:
I have no idea about the refilling of any co2 tanks, other than the 1 time I passed off an extremely old outdated 20lb steel tank at Air Gas and for $20 got a filled new aluminum one. I know there is killer pressure in these tanks and wouldn't attempt this without some expert advice, but couldn't a smaller 5# tank be refilled from a 20# tank if the right fittings were had? I know both will be at lesser pressures than each being fully professionally filled due to that silly law of equilibrium, but in a pinch couldn't they both be hooked up and valves opened for a quick refill?
If it is possible, I wouldn't mind helping out and "passing gas" :D to another brewer. I drive past Air Gas at a minimum 2x per day. I could get the 20# refilled more often, and possibly get in better with the guys there. Maybe even figure out some way to get our tanks refilled, or topped off at meetings for only a couple of bucks.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

Davin
Brewmaster

Post by Davin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 pm

A few years ago when some friends and I were playing paintball on a very regular basis, we invested in a 50# cylinder and the gear to fill small tanks from it. I think we gave about $100 for it, and it cost $20 to fill at a fire and safety supply place on Virginia.

a couple of thinks you need to do in order to fill a smaller tank from a large one. Almost all of these are due to wanting to ensure you fill the smaller tank with liquid CO2 rather than gas:

1. The large tank needs to have a dip tube installed so that you can draw liquid CO2 from the bottom of the tank. (Small tank should not have a dip tube for kegging.) If you need to fill a smaller tank from a tank that you normally use to run a keggerator (IE no diptube) you can get around it by inverting the tank, its tough with anything over a 10# tank, but it is possible.

2. You need to put a few shots of co2 into the small bottle and then release it quickly. What this does is chill the tank so that the liquid co2 does not try to gas off as much.

3. Get a good set of scales to weigh the small tank. Fish scales tend to work for paintball, but for larger 5# tanks you are probably going to have to use something a little more heavy duty. After chilling the tank, fill the tank to the poundage listed on the tank. Co2 tanks are always filled by poundage rather than pressure since the pressure is going to differ wildly due to temperature.
To Ale is human, to ferment divine.

Josh Thompson
Henderson, KY

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Post by Michael Erwin » Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm just getting ready for my first keg of beer this weekend. Question about CO2. Does PPMD rent tanks, sell tanks, or do they just fill them? What about Evv Welding Supply?

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Wed May 21, 2008 5:25 am

I do not know about PPMD. Evansville Welding sells 5#, and I think rents larger ones. I have seen 5# on ebay for 65$ or so, recently.

Davin
Brewmaster

Post by Davin » Wed May 21, 2008 7:28 am

Mel, the guy who runs PPMD, does not sell large tanks (over 20 oz or so.)
To Ale is human, to ferment divine.

Josh Thompson
Henderson, KY