Alternate use of priming pail.

BM1
Brewmaster

Post by BM1 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:37 pm

I used my bottling bucket as a primary fermenter this time(did not plan this :oops: ),so I tried something different on racking.I used the drain valve as an outlet to rack to 2ndary.Looks like it went OK;anyone ever did that?Am I in trouble,or what? :?: :roll: Oh,yeah :shock: I DID use a hose and that.My aforethought was that I might avoid oxidation,sucking trub off the bottom and risk of contamination...and so on :D :)
You gonna stop whinin' 'bout that beer,or you gonna send it to me?
Friends don't let friends brew drunk!
Signed:Steve Sluder.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:22 pm

I've never fermented in a bucket before, but I don't think you did anything wrong. The proof will come when it's time to enjoy that beer. If it tastes funny, or just not right, it might not be the thing to do again.
One question I have is; How much trub got transferred into secondary using the bottling bucket transfer? Not that it's that important since some members don't even secodary ferment. Some go primary to keg mostly, but you can also go primary to bottling. You just might have to cut short your bottle pour to keep the sediment in the bottle and not in your glass.
If everything turns out fine and your happy with it. Who else matters. Enjoy the brew.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:35 am

I wouldn't think there would be any problem. I do sort of the same thing.

I use a Better Bottle with a racking arm and go straight from a long primary to bottle/keg with no worries .

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:26 pm

There is a backnut that fits the drain valve on a bucket that works well for this.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT_T ... 79C104.cfm
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

BM1
Brewmaster

Alternate use of priming pail

Post by BM1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:52 pm

John:There was very little trub transfer,although the flow through the vale did slow to a stop at the very last;I could have gotten another few oz.The downside is that I believe a racking cane may have produced another quart +/-.Might be worth the trouble and/or expense,next time,to brew an extra 1/2 gallon to compensate for the loss but it seems like too much waste of potentially good beer. :beer8 :beer3.The trub was only 'bout 1/2" deep on this batch :?: :D :D :D

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 pm

You can save some of that precious liquid by propping up the rear of the bucket. If the yeast cake is mostly solid, you can do this and waste very little :beer12
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 am

A way I've used to minimize the lost volume is to just give the carboy a good swirl, and pour whatever residual liquid remains into a fresh batch of unfermented wort. It saves a few bucks on yeast, I know I haven't lost any precious alcohol, and active fermentation is much faster than with the small yeast packs from the store. I've read of guys doing this for 8 generations of yeast without any issues. I have only done this about 4 times before I start again with a new pack, or back up a couple of generations if I split it up some time in the past.
This will work with both primary and secondary racking.
I've also just poured the liquid into a clean bottle and stored in the fridge to bring back to life later. (just make sure your friends don't try to drink it one night...or better yet. Let them, it'll teach them to stay out of your fridge).
.....I'm gonna be one!

BM1
Brewmaster

Post by BM1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Hey,I just bottled that today(could be prematurely :oops: ),but,it was done cooking and idle for 3 days.I may get a bit more sediment than expected but I really don't mind pouring short.And,heck,after 3 r 4... :roll: .Anyway,about yeast conservation;I wonder how long it would keep in the carboy at 68deg.F?Gonna try to use it today,but,do I have to make the same beer :?:

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:47 pm

You don't have to make the same beer. Close is good enough, and going to a stronger flavored beer is just as good. Simple to go from pale to IPA, or IPA to stout, etc. If you go the other way, like stout to pale, you'll likely mess up your color/flavor if you don't "wash" your yeast sediment first.
I wouldn't store any left over trub, or yeast in the large carboy or bucket for use much longer than a few hours. Too much oxygen to create the off flavors. Best to be placed in a smaller container with as little oxygen present as possible for longer storage. Word of caution is just smell and or taste a small sample after any storage to make sure it didn't go bad. Bad in = bad out.
.....I'm gonna be one!

BM1
Brewmaster

Post subject: Alternate use of priming pail.

Post by BM1 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:13 pm

Well,I left the yeast cake in the carboy and capped it with a balloon over the air lock with a pinhole in it(standard procedure after calling it done)and the balloon inflated overnight,so,I shouldn't worry about oxygen.I'm cooking a German ale today,if it smells good,I might use it...or not :lol: :D :D