Conicals

Jim W
Brewmaster

Conicals

Post by Jim W » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:33 pm

OK, so as Jim and I discussed :beer9 on Wednesday, we have our pieces of modern art. Beautiful 10 gal brew pots. And Kenny has gotten me to the point of how much water to use in a full boil with this art piece. :beer4
So my next question is "What is so wonderful about a conical, and why must I convince my wife that something like that is necessary?" :beer6
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:21 am

I went with 15 gallon pots. :)

I'm going conical for four main reasons.

1. After chilling the wort, I just want to open the bottom valve of the brew pot and use the conical shape to dump the cold break without having to wait for settling in the brew pot and eliminate the use of sanitized hoses to rack.

2. The bottom valve of the conical will be used again to dump the yeast sediment in order to do primary and secondary fermentation without the need to sanitize a secondary and racking tubes, thus further reducing the chance of infection and much less work.

3. Screw the bottles, I want to use the upper valve with rotating stem on the conical to drop the beer right into kegs. I thought I was going with 2.5 gallon kegs but looking at the prices, I think 5 gallon kegs are more cost effective and I can just use a brew wand to occasionally bottle sediment free beer if I want a sixer for the road.

4. This is going to make a killer primary and secondary for wine too without needing to transfer. There will be a ton of head space to be able to eliminate the food grade plastic I was using for the primary for fruit meads.

:twisted:

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:38 am

Jim, let's see..............................think of all of the money you will save by reusing your yeast; yeah............that's the ticket!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:24 pm

OK. So after a wheat, a witbier, and a porter I was sufficiently infused to buy the conical. With my dear wife's permission I began my search last night. Suffice it to say that the search ended nearly immediately, when I saw the sticker shock.
That be one more item for filling up the empty nest when that day comes.
Are there any cool ideas or things that are cheap?
Or am I too cheap?
Cheers.
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

jefrey3
Brewmaster

Post by jefrey3 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:48 pm

A conical is a high ticket item, I considered one once but couldn't justify the cost. There is a plastic conical on the market, but it isn't cheap either and you still have all the plastic issues.

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:50 pm

I found some plastic conicals that we sell at work, for under 100$, but I kind of thought what you said....that you still have the problems of plastic.
Does anyone know a Toyota employee, that has metal working skills, that might be able to score a Tundra body for us?

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:49 am

How many do you need? Do they have to be stainless?
I'll see what can get out the door in my lunch box.

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:22 am

I am very sorry to have even suggested that.
:cry: :oops:
I should have known better.
What we really need are the roofs from a bunch of Siennas.
Thanks Kenny. If you can, bring several to Turoni's on Friday and I can get started this weekend.

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:25 am

Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song. didn't know he was a homebrewer!! :D
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:53 pm

What is really needed is some of the equipment from our bumper paint line. We have some 30 gallon conical paint pots made from very heavy guage stainless and clover fittings. I think they would probably miss them though. I have had to weld some cracks on more than one occasion from excessive vibration.

On the real subject...I know there are some anti-plastic purists out there, but, I have had an 8 gallon plastic conical for over a year now and as long as you keep it clean and use only a soft cloth to clean it with, it works great! It was a little under $200, much less than a stainless.
Would I prefer stainless? Of course if I could afford it, but this one will do the same with the exception of the rotating racking arm which I could probably make one.

I enjoy being able to drain the yeast the fly. It fits in my side by side fridge, and I have a QD fitting on the side that I can pump from my boil kettle, through the chiller and directly in all while the lid stays on... no contamination from the outside world.

Of course everyone has opinions.

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:36 pm

I didn't mean to come across funny getting stainless. This is just one of my favorite hobbies thats been a part of my life for long enough to know it's not going away. I'm a kind of guy who would never buy a new car but when it comes to hobbies, I'm a bit more serious. I think if you go plastic and you are careful with it, that's awesome. I'm just a bit of a thug at times and I can't have nice things. :)

Therefore, I'm hoping to go stainless, increase my capacity, and not have to worry about it ever again. It's also obvious I manage manufacturing. :D

Regardless of how we do it, let's just make sure we share and drive home safe at the end of the day. :beer6