Carboy/Brewpot

Jim W
Brewmaster

Carboy/Brewpot

Post by Jim W » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Allright. I actually chose a carboy over my precious buckets this weekend. So I am getting used to using them. And flat love the PBW.
I got the carboy caps Chris suggested and only have one more dilema. :?
I use a big funnel to pour into.
I lose about a cup of wort (see note at end of post about value I put on one drop of sweet beer) running down the side of my brewpot, because I cannot just fire it in to the carboy, like I do my buckets. :evil:
So is there a technique thing I am missing, or something else?
It is time for me to buy a new brewpot, so if I need to work that angle I can do that. Waiting to hear what you all have to say! :beer2
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 pm

Before I started using an electric pump, I used an auto siphon with clear tubing to transfer from brew kettle to fermenter it is made by Fermtech. All you have to do is stick the siphon into one vessel, then push down on the top and it automatically starts the transfer.http://www.fermtech.on.ca/[img][albumimg]240[/albumimg][/img]

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:24 pm

I've got one of those that I did not think to use at that point.
Do you like your electric pump enough to recommend it?
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:15 pm

I made a chiller with copper coiled tubing and heat resistant flexible hose. I hook it up to my kitchen sink to get cold water running through which drains into the sink. When I have chilled it down, there will be a cold break so I rack it off into the carboy and immediately add the yeast starter. Never had a problem with this using carboys. :)

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:36 am

Sounds like you just need to add a spigot to your brew pot:
http://chris.norrick.com/norrickenbier/ ... DA516.html

I've since replaced the "Hop Stopper" with a couple of street elbows to the inside to redirect the opening 180 degrees so the wort is being sucked out very near the wall of the pot. This is to keep cold break and hop trub out of the fermenter. I'll take a photo to explain that better. I also use a whirlpool immersion chiller setup to help collect all the crud in a nice pile in the center of the pot. But you need a pump for that.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:47 pm

I saw that on your website before. I think it may just be time to get a keg and do that. After a batch Saturday, it will be a couple weeks before I brew again. I'll try and find a keg and get that done. You both mentioned cold break. What is that?

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 pm

Here's a link with a short description.

http://www.beer-brewing.com/apex/wort_c ... mation.htm

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:15 am

You know, that article brought up an interesting point ... it said to chill wort to 10c (50F) at even down to near freezing. Presumably, more cold break means less haze in the final product. I've never thought of it quite that way, and I usually just cool mine down to pitching temp or so.

How cool does everyone get their wort before pitch? Does anyone get it super-cool like this is saying and, if so, how is your clarity usually?