Cider

Dutch
Brewmaster

Cider

Post by Dutch » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:24 am

It looks like I will be making a road trip to the northeast - New York Finger Lakes wine district. I've had the urge to make a batch of cider. In light of the local apple crop problems, I had the thought to combine the wine trip with a bit of very fresh cider. If anyone else would be interested in cider, I will most likely be bringing some back on October 3rd or 4th.

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 am

We may not have to drive as far soon!

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2007/08/31/ ... 746586.txt

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 pm

I've been thinking about cider since the BBQ-Brew event.

I've talked to the Newburgh Engelbrecht market and their cider is coming in tomorrow 9/6. The owner is supposed to call me back to get a price on special order unpreserved cider. Their regular prices is $6/gallon.

I can't get Engelbrecht Orchards to answer the phone, so I'll be heading there tomorrow. I didn't know that they are not affiliated with the Newburgh store.

How many guys want cider? Maybe we can get a good discount if we get 15-20 gallons. I'll have some prices tomorrow.

Jack, you used English Cider yeast correct?
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:51 pm

Engelbrecht's is opening up on Sept 12. They have a sign that says they will have their own cider but I still can't get ahold of anyone to get a price on special order sorbate-free cider.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Well, there is a very interesting story in the Courier this morning.
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/s ... mpickings/

The Co-Op recommended TJ's Orchard on Orchard Rd. They don't have any apples either. I did order some preservative/pasturized-free cider from the Newburgh Engelbrechts. She said they do the special orders every couple of weeks. It's the same prices as the regular cider, $6/gallon. I didn't ask where they are getting their apples from.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:09 am

Well, Engelbrecht's at Newburgh just called. For some reason they made 20 gallons of unpasturized cider for me. I'm just getting 6 gallons so there should be plenty over there if you want some!
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Dutch
Brewmaster

Post by Dutch » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Since I am already committed to go to New York I will still pick up cider there + if anyone else is interested I will get more. Did you get the English cider yeast at the coop on St Joes? Is this a normal ferment for ten to fifteen days at 70 deg F? I assume no secondary? Adding corn sugar at time of bottling for recarbonization?

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 pm

Yes I got the yeast at the Co-Op. They are currently out of it as of this morning. I'm having some real problems with this fermentation. I put the cider in the carboy Sat morning and added less than a teaspoon of potassium metabisulfate to it. I pitched the yeast Sun morning with some yeast nutrient. As of Tues morning there was no activity. I ran to the Co-Op this morning to get some more yeast but they were out so I picked up some dry Monchet wine yeast, rehydraded it and pitched. As of 10 p.m. Tues, no activity...
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 am

Humm, thinking in the shower this morning, I should have used less than a 1/2 teaspoon of the sulfate, not less than 1 teaspoon that I did use. Normal usage is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon and I was going to use less. I might just be killing off all the good yeast. Damn.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 pm

Just a note: Wally World has Musselmans Cider(made from fresh apples, not concentrate) for $2.99 a gallon. It isn't the best cider that I have tasted, but it's not too bad. It is pasteurized and has some added Vitamin C, but no preservatives. I bought 5 gallons to make an experimental batch of "quick" cider. I pitched some Nottingham yeast the night before last along with a blast of O2 and the yeast has been working hard ever since.
Last edited by Dwayne_Delaney on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:34 am

I got 5 gallons of unpasteurized cider from Engelbrecht's orchard on Friday. Added 5 camden tablets and let it set for 24 hours, added English cider yeast and within 30 minutes had activity through the airlock!!!!!! I've never used this yeast before. Ferment is at about 72F. (70-75 recommended temp. Extremely fast and furious fermentation. Now, we'll see how the final product ends up. :beer1
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:27 pm

You're making me jealous! Mine did finally ferment, but it is a lot drier than I would like. I meant to put some pectic enzyme in but I forgot so it is really cloudy. I'd add some gelatin but I don't want to remove any of the little apple character it has left. I'll let it settle for a few weeks in the keg then add in my left over cider. Guess I'll have to add in some sorbate before that.

We're going to need a cider tasting! December maybe?
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Cider fermentation is about done. Settling in secondary now and clearing nicely. Less sweet than I had hoped, but the cider I started with wasn't all that sweet to begin with. Next week I will bottle it carbonated with honey. We'll see how that works out! Lots of sludge in the bottom of the primary fermenter. Out of 5 gallons to start, there is about 3 3/4 gallons left to bottle. Lost more than I had anticipated.
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Jim W
Brewmaster

Post by Jim W » Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 pm

Hey, now that you guys have had a chance sample your cider's, what recipe's do you favor. I would like to make a batch in the next few weeks.
Thanks.
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.--Homer Simpson
All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow. --Dave Barry

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Fri May 30, 2008 11:01 pm

The cider that I made wasn't too bad, but the exra vitamin C that Musselmans added to their cider made it a bit tart. I think that the secret is quality cider; something that might be tough to find this time of year.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter