Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Jeremy Dunn
Brewmaster

Re: SMaSH?

Post by Jeremy Dunn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Yep, we're going to do a tasting during the July meeting.
Jeremy Dunn

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:32 am

Any specific requirements like last time? I think that was same base recipe with different hops.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

wuertzBräu
Brewmaster

Post by wuertzBräu » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Chris Norrick wrote:Any specific requirements like last time? I think that was same base recipe with different hops.
I think we should have a standard base malt across the board. It would still be interesting otherwise, but seems to lose a little something in my opinion.

I currently have enough on hand to make either a 2-row, or a Pilsen malt SMaSH. What say others?

*EDIT* 6/10/16 10:06 AM

A standard hop with different base malts could be interesting as well.
Josh Wuertz • 2018 OVHA President

Brewer • Haynie's Corner Brewing Co. • 2020-2022

Jeremy Dunn
Brewmaster

Post by Jeremy Dunn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:58 pm

I remember tasting a variety of base malts last time (2013? Maybe I missed a year). Some that I vaguely remember from the 2013 tasting were: munich/mosaic, pils/sterling. Mine was pils/motueka.
Jeremy Dunn

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:49 am

I might be thinking of a hop experiment we did and not the SMaSH project. At some point we did a blonde with different hops.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:52 am

Search is my friend...
For those of you who might not have attended yesterday's (3/27/13) meeting, here's the thumbnail description of the SMaSH brewing project:

* Beers should follow the spirit of SMaSH, meaning a single malt and a single hop variety (for clarification, multiple hop kettle additions are fine). For extract brewers, try to source extracts that are 100% base malt (e.g., Northern Brewers Maris Otter LME) or blended with carapils (Briess Pilson Light or Golden Light DME).
* The primary purpose of the project is to discern the qualities of different base malts and hop varieties. However, for those who can't resist roasting some of the base grains or caramelizing some of the first runnings, feel free.
* Tasting will be held at the regular meeting on June 19, 2013. Please bring at least 4-6 bottles (~ 1.5-2 liters) for tasting.
* The project is an participation event, not a competition (kind of like t-ball). Participants will receive a special t-shirt. Fine print: (Sorry, only one t-shirt per brew will be awarded, but assistant brewers may purchase one at cost.)

I think that about covers the main points. I've also posted a few SMaSH recipes (for extract versions of Drew Beechum's recipes, see Nov/Dec 2012 Zymurgy magazine) and included links to hear Drew Beechum discuss SMaSH brewing. If you have any questions, feel free to post them.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

wuertzBräu
Brewmaster

Post by wuertzBräu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks for digging up the info, Chris!
Jeremy Dunn wrote:I remember tasting a variety of base malts last time (2013? Maybe I missed a year). Some that I vaguely remember from the 2013 tasting were: munich/mosaic, pils/sterling. Mine was pils/motueka.
I was actually thinking about doing a Sterling SMaSH, mostly because I want to make a beer and call it Sterling's Gold. Any Mad Men fans out there?

Of course, this is assuming I can find sterling hops locally.

Jam095
Brewmaster

Post by Jam095 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:12 pm

I only have Belgian Pils on hand right now. In the spirit of homebrewing, I would oppose limiting anyone to any particular malt or hop. I would only be a participant using my Belgian Pils and a noble hop...and of course a Belgian yeast! :beer10
John Mullins

Don’t judge a beer by it’s label

Jeremy Dunn
Brewmaster

Post by Jeremy Dunn » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I have some Weyermann Barke Vienna malt I want to use. Probably going to pair it with U.S. Northern Brewer hops and kölsch yeast.
Jeremy Dunn

wuertzBräu
Brewmaster

Post by wuertzBräu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Jam095 wrote:I only have Belgian Pils on hand right now. In the spirit of homebrewing, I would oppose limiting anyone to any particular malt or hop. I would only be a participant using my Belgian Pils and a noble hop...and of course a Belgian yeast! :beer10
I guess the limiting of base malts or hops really only makes sense if we were going to feature it at an event like SWIRCA where there aren't as many discerning or experienced palates.

All good with me! :beer9

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:15 pm

instead of limiting to one malt, just pair the same malts together, like these are the pils, these are the 2 rows, these are the marris etc..
Sky B.