Sulfur from Ale Fermentation

Jam095
Brewmaster

Sulfur from Ale Fermentation

Post by Jam095 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Brewed a Hefeweizen on Sunday, and this is the second ale fermentation I've had that put off a ton of sulfur (at least that I noticed). I know this is typical of lagers, but haven't had this issue with ales except for the one other time using Safales dry Belgian yeast. I've brewed one other Hefe using the same WLP 300 but I don't recall getting any noticeable sulfur from. Everything I've read says it should dissipate with time, but would like to know what's causing this or if it's just more noticeable sometimes than others?
John Mullins

Don’t judge a beer by it’s label

wuertzBräu
Brewmaster

Re: Sulfur from Ale Fermentation

Post by wuertzBräu » Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 am

I was actually reading about that before brewing the Altbier. From what I read there, the sulfur is pretty typical of Kolsch (and other) yeasts, and will usually fade over time. Everything I read says that cold crashing will help speed that process up.

No personal experience with it yet though.
Josh Wuertz • 2018 OVHA President

Brewer • Haynie's Corner Brewing Co. • 2020-2022

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Thu May 19, 2016 12:29 pm

how is your water tasting? any sulfur there?
Sky B.

Jam095
Brewmaster

Post by Jam095 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Haven't noticed any sulfur in our tap water before. I run all my water through a charcoal filter as well. The first time I encountered this with the dry Belgian yeast, was on a 2 gal batch, and I actually used 100% distilled water.

The only common denominator between the two beers I've experienced this with is having used Biscuit malt (from same 1 lb bag). However I've brewed great beers with biscuit before.

I will add that I purchased this yeast at half price from co-op because it was 6 months expired. I stepped it up from a pint to 1.5 liter. The pint lagged to take off, but the step up took right off. Batch took right off as well.
John Mullins

Jeremy Dunn
Brewmaster

Post by Jeremy Dunn » Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 pm

I've noticed that some yeasts do produce more sulfur compounds than others. According to the "Yeast" book from Brewer's Publications, it's more typical in lagers because fermentation isn't as vigorous. An active, healthy fermentation should drive sulfur compounds out of solution.

Also, apparently if you detect sulfur in your kegged beer, you can bleed off the pressure periodically until all of the sulfur smell is gone.
Jeremy Dunn

Jam095
Brewmaster

Post by Jam095 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:49 pm

After a week, fermentation appears to be complete. I pulled a sample today to check for sulfur aroma/taste expecting to pick some up. To my delight, I did not detect any! I will let it sit another week then cold crash. Yay!!
John Mullins

ThreeBeers
Brewmaster

Post by ThreeBeers » Mon May 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Relax...have a Homebrew!
Cesar Gonzalez