So its my first brew, and I've got a problem.

Davin
Brewmaster

So its my first brew, and I've got a problem.

Post by Davin » Thu May 17, 2007 9:47 pm

So I made some mistakes with my first brew. I pitched while the wort was a little warm (about 87degrees) and I only fermented for about 10 days (no change in SG over the last three days). I bottled and it will be three weeks this Saturday.

My problem, a large portion of my bottles are not carbonated. Some of them have, and the ones that haven't I've given a shake to try to stir up some settle yeast (per Palmer), my question is how long should I wait after shaking them? They were drinkable (drank the one i opened even though it was flat) I'm planning on having some folks over on Saturday and had planned to serve some then.

The other thing that may be relevant is the fact that I bottled in large liter glass bottles with flip top lids. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Fri May 18, 2007 7:25 am

Just a few questions. How much priming sugar did you use? 3/4 cup per 5 gallons of beer is a pretty average amount. Did you stir the priming sugar into the beer when you were bottling? That could make a difference since some didn't carbonate. Wish I had more answers and less questions! Also, was there good activity during fermentation with a lot of CO2 thru the airlock? Pitching yeast at 87F is a little too warm
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Davin
Brewmaster

Post by Davin » Fri May 18, 2007 8:24 am

I used 3/4 of a cup (what came with the kit) and I added water to it heated it till it dissolved before adding it to my bottling bucket and then caning into the bucket. I didn't stir it in as I added it to the bucket before caning and the instructions that came with the kit specified not to. Same with pitching the yeast, the instructions said simply "under 90 degrees," of course now I know better.

I seemed to get a lot of airlock activity for about 4 days or so during the fermentation process, but then it slacked off. I waited about 5 days before bottling after I ad stopped seeing airlock activity.

At this point I've picked up a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew" and know a lot of things that I'm going to change before next time, but the first time I just followed the instructions that came with the kit (the first kit came with the order of the equipment.) At this point I'm just trying to salvage my first run before I make some changes and do a second batch.

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Fri May 18, 2007 5:16 pm

Most of the time, the majority of your vigorous ferment will be done within a few days. I usually gently stir the priming sugar to mix it but try not to aerate the beer at that point. Sounds like you followed the instructions. Enjoy the good ones and brew another batch!! Hope to see you at the monthly meeting at Germania on the 30th :beer9
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

psfred
Brewmaster

Post by psfred » Fri May 18, 2007 11:08 pm

Davin:

Likely the first bottles you filled will end up somewhat overcarbonated and the last ones flat (or vice versa) -- the sugar solution is heavier than the beer and will fall down to the bottom of the bucket.

I always mix priming sugar into the beer with a sanitzed spoon -- if there is still some stored condition in the beer, as there should be, it will fizz out and cover the beer with CO2 protecting it from oxygen. If you don't stir the primings in completely, you will get some overcharged and some flat bottles. You only need stir for 20-30 seconds, just don't splash or stir air into the beer.

You may have somewhat estery beer this time, but so long as the yeast didn't autolyze it will be drinkable. Next time, keep the temps below 70 for ale, below 60 (45 is better) for lagers.

Peter