6th Annual Big Turkey Homebrew Contest: STOUTS

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

6th Annual Big Turkey Homebrew Contest: STOUTS

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:06 pm

The beer style for the 6th annual OVHA member’s only Big Turkey brewing contest is Stout, BJCP Category 13 with all sub-styles:
13A. Dry Stout
13B. Sweet Stout
13C. Oatmeal Stout
13D. Foreign Extra Stout
13E. American Stout
13F. Russian Imperial Stout

Entries are due at the November 28 meeting with winners announced at the December holiday party.

Information about these styles can be found at the BJCP web site: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

INSTRUCTIONS:
• You may enter one beer in each of the subcategories. Please do not enter the same beer in different subcategories.
• You need two bottles of beer for each subcategory you are entering. Please use as plain as a bottle and you can muster. Things like swing tops, labels, raised lettering, etc are not allowed in sanctioned competitions but will be allowed here if it is ALL you have as a last resort.
• Print out the BJCP Bottle ID form (interactive http://www.brewerscup.org/labels-interactive.pdf)
• Fill in your Name, Category (13), and Subcategory (A, B, C, D, or E).
• Cut out the labels and attach one to EACH bottle with a rubber band. Again, please use as plain as a bottle and you can muster.

Judging will be using the standard BJCP judging sheets used at all the AHA competitions and styles will each be judged within their own subcategory. It‘s up to you to pick the subcategory you want your beer to be judged against.

One winner, the Best of Show, will get their name on the Big Turkey trophy, get their beer brewed for SWIRCA next year at Big Brew, receive one year’s free OVHA membership, get a Big Turkey ceramic stein, and a $30 gift certificate... not to mention the fame and glory that comes with winning the prestigious OVHA Big Turkey Competition. Second prize includes a $20 gift certificate. Third will receive a $10 gift certificate. There may be other unannounced prizes.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Don
Brewmaster

Re: 6th Annual Big Turkey Homebrew Contest: STOUTS

Post by Don » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 pm

;)

:beer8

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Come on members, dethrone Heisler. He hasn't had to pay dues in 3 years.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm

john mills wrote:Come on members, dethrone Heisler. He hasn't had to pay dues in 3 years.
He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall keep it.
I'll brew my stout 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flame before I give the cup up!
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:15 am

As announced at the July meeting, the Big Turkey is now sponsored by Carson's Brewery http://carsonsbrewery.com.

The grand prize will be the opportunity to be "Pro-Brewer for a Day".
You will help brew your winning recipe on a commercial system!

We will also have a club-wide tapping party when the beer is ready.

The full details will need to be worked out but the brew day will likely be early next year.

GET BREWING!
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh it's on... IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!! My "Sweet McLovin" Stout is sitting in the back of the kegerator aging away just waiting for November.
Michael Julian

KennyPurcell
Brewmaster

Post by KennyPurcell » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm in. My submission will be my first all grain stout so maybe I should apologize to the judges in advance! We'll see how it turns out.
Kenny Purcell • Former OVHA President (2016)

Up Next:
Fermenting/Aging: Citra/Amarillo DIPA
On Tap: Cider, Dry Stout, 2016 OVHA Barrel Aged RIS & OMDG
Bottled: Squatch Crotch American Imperial Stout 2014, 2014 OVHA FES, Ass Crack of Don Bourbon Stout (Don't drink and name your beers), Giraffe Head Coffee Stout, & 2013 OVHA Barrel Aged Old Ale, St. Cyril's Strong Ale

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Reminder that entries are due at the Nov 28 meeting. Judging will be held the next Saturday, Dec 1. Winners announced at the December meeting/party on December 12.

Most of the invited judges have confirmed their participation. They cover a good chunk of the Evansville craft beer scene. Once they are all confirmed I'll announce who they are.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:35 pm

I know there is only one winner but how does the scoring work? Are all the beers judged and then the beer scoring the highest is named the winner or do the highest from each sub catagory go to the final and the highest score from that group is the winner?
Michael Julian

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 pm

I'll try to explain here the best I can but this can also be discussed at the meeting.

We are going to attempt to run this just like the State Fair Brewer's Cup to BJCP standards.

Depending on the number of entries, we will have three sets of three judges or four sets of two judges. We will pull beers by subcategory starting with A Dry Stout. Once the A's are gone we go to B's, etc. This method attempts to spread out the subcategories to all the judging panels so no one is stuck just doing Dry Stout, etc. It's called the "queued" judging method.

Each set of judges will push though their best one, two, or three beers—which should be based on score—independent of their subcategory. I believe this is Michael's question.

These beers go to the Best of Show round which is judged by the head judge from each set of judges. This is where the second bottle of beer you submitted comes into play.

These are not re-scored. They are all poured at once and each judge picks their favorite after tasting and pondering in silence. Then there is discussion amongst the judges. And after all the discussion and deliberation, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are chosen by concusses. Scores are often adjusted at this point so the 1st place beer has the highest score as dictated by BJCP.

I hope that helps.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Chris Norrick wrote:... Scores are often adjusted at this point so the 1st place beer has the highest score as dictated by BJCP.
The score may be adjusted to reflect a final score for First, second & third due to the fact that they may be representatives of different panel of judges. One panel of judges may consistently score higher, or lower than another panel of judges. Thus for example the best beer from 1 panel of judges that give high scores actually places 3rd when judged in the best of show rounds, may have an initial score higher than 2nd & 1st place winners best of show. Then the final score of this 3rd place score would be adjusted to represent a "true" 3rd place score based on the other 2 scores.
Sounds a little confusing, but OVHA has the most seasoned BJCP stewards in the country.
With this small of a competition, the Chief Steward may only know who the brewer of the beers are.
.....I'm gonna be one!

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I think I understand. It is possible that a dry stout can take 1 2 and 3 in best of show.

So it is a "stout" competition that is open to all subcategories.
Michael Julian

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm

I think you got it. That's a good way to phrase it.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Jam095
Brewmaster

Post by Jam095 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm gonna be on 2nd shift for a few months unfortunately. Will I be allowed to have another member deliver my entry to the November meeting? I can't spare any vacation time, but I'd really like to be there.
John Mullins

Don’t judge a beer by it’s label

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Jam095 wrote:I'm gonna be on 2nd shift for a few months unfortunately. Will I be allowed to have another member deliver my entry to the November meeting? I can't spare any vacation time, but I'd really like to be there.
Sure! Just fill out the BJCP bottle form and attach to each of the bottles using a rubber band.
.....I'm gonna be one!