Make an Apple Brew. Help

kbhale
Hophead

Make an Apple Brew. Help

Post by kbhale » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:38 pm

At the Brew Ha-Ha. One of their specialties was Lindemans Pomme Lambic.
http://www.thebrewsite.com/2006/03/15/l ... _pomme.php

I would like to make a brew that has a strong apple taste. I was wondering, if adding a few cans of frozen Apple juice concentrate to the secondary of a lightly hopped wort, might produce an apple taste in the finished brew. So far this the recipe I worked up. Thinking the Rye and Wheat malt would enhance the sourness of the apple.

Apple Brew
5.5 gallon batch

6 lb 2 row
2 lb Rye malt
1 lb Wheat malt

1 oz Saaz @ 10min

OG 1.043 IBU 2.8 SRM 3.6

6 - 12oz cans of frozen Apple concentrate to secondary

Not sure what yeast to use. Not able to lager yet.

Any comments would be helpful.

Kevin

Chris Alvey
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Alvey » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 pm

Hmm , that sounds interesting.

If you add the apple juice, you are going to need to add some potassium sorbate at some point. This will stop re-fermentation of the added sugars. Unless, of course, the juice already has preservative. But who knows how much and if it's enough, ya' know.

I'd just use a neutral ale yeast if I were to make a guess. I think a lambic involves Brettanomyoces and god-knows-what else. They do sell a lambic culture, but it doesn't sound like that's quite what you're after.

I suppose there's only one way to find out...

Justin Rumbach
Brewmaster

Post by Justin Rumbach » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 am

I've been thinking of an Apple Brew as well and have found three possibilities for apple flavoring.

One is LD Carlson Apple Flavoring which you would add at bottling/kegging. Probably not the best option.

The second is apple extract. Do a google search and you can find a few places that sell it for making desserts/ice creams. A little should go a long way.

The third and maybe best option is to add unpasteurized apple cider to the end of the boil. This should add a nice apple flavor plus boost your gravity nicely.

One recipe from BYO suggest adding cinnamon, ginger and maple syrup as well.

Have fun!
For everyone I haven't met, I used to live in Evansville and was a member of OVHA. After moving home to Jasper, and missing having good friends to brew with, I decided to try to start my own club. I am happy to say that I have been the president of the Dubois County Suds Club since 2006 (although I still miss my OVHA buddies)!